This document describes the procedure for cleaning the DEIMOS
slitmask cassette. Aluminum dust builds up within the
instrument due to wear on the slitmasks, and if not removed this
dust will contaminate optics and clog sensor pukas.
- With DEIMOS out of telescope, remove cladding panel,
D8805-1, in front of the cassette for access. This panel is
locked by 2 panels that form the nose cylinder. These must be
- Remove the mask_aligned transmitter, D1242, and receiver,
D1217, D1218, from the cassette actuator and the cassette.
- Blow air through the hole.
Caution: This could contaminate the optics with
aluminum dust, perhaps invent another way to clean the holes,
ie; needle and string, pipe cleaner...Bill
- While blowing air through the hole "floss" the slots with
a piece of card stock (a piece of manilla folder or something
similar). Drag a corner of the card stock down the bottom of
each slot to sweep any material out.
- Vacuum area around cassette and slit mask form to remove any debris.
- Replace mask_aligned transmitter and receiver.
- Replace and retape cladding.