- 7/64 T-handle allen wrenche
- Palm grip handle tool found in the LRIS storage area on
the Keck 1 Nasmyth deck or in the instrument lab LRIS
cabinet (bin marked special tools).
The following procedure applies to the removal of the blue grisms on
- Select LIRS Engineering ->
Changouts -> GRISM to service port from the instrument
desktop menu. Launches the GRISLOAD gui.
- On the "GRISLOAD" gui select desired port and click
SET. This will move the desired grism to the service port.
- Rotate LRIS to the fill position so that the grism carousel is at the top
of the instrument. This will make it much easier to load and
unload the grism.
- Climb on top of the instrument and locate the carousel.
- Pull the tethered T-handle pin which locks the load
door in place. Note: The pin is an interlock for the
- Open the load door.
- Screw in the palm-grip handle. This allows you to lift
out the filter, and also locks down the latching mechanism
to the cell assembly.
- The holder is kept in place using 3 or 4 screws which
secure the optic cell around the edge of the plate. Use a
7/64 allen head wrench to loosen these captive screws until
- Carefully lift the grism out of the carousel.
- Place the grism to be serviced in its storage case or
- Remove the palm-grip handle from the grism.
- Close the load door.
- If removing more than one grism, repeat steps 3 thru 12.
- Insert the tethered T-handle which locks the load door
Pictures with the 7/64 T handle in one of the four retaining
screws and the palm handle inserted.